Oct 24, 2007

Addendum G: Proteins

GETTING SUFFICIENT PROTEIN ON THE ANTI-ITIS DIET. When adopting this diet, the first myth to toss aside is the myth that you can't get enough protein unless you eat meat, dairy, or at least a lot of beans. As Dr. McDougall and various researchers have shown, protein requirements are very small, as little as 35 grams per day, assuming you are getting sufficient calories (so your body doesn't burn up your own protein to make up the deficit) and assuming you are getting sufficient variety of amino-acids (proteins). Pregancy, recovery from major surgery, and a massive body building program might double the requirement.

The second myth to set aside is the myth that plant foods don't provide "complete protein." They do. Potatoes are an example. You can get all the protein you need from potatoes. Add fruit and vegetables and you will get plenty of protein in both quantity and variety. (An assumption here is that you have a healthy appetite.)

Those are my conclusions. I am a layman. I rely on the testimony (related to my own experiences) of individuals I trust as sources. For a start on exploring these issues, see Dr. McDougall's articles on protein, in his newsletter. For instance:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2007nl/apr/dairy.htm and
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2004nl/040100.htm

PROTEINS AS A CAUSE? When I saw the first results of my food testing, I wondered if all proteins might be the cause of my inflammation problems. However, further testing indicated that, for me, proteins in alkaline-producing foods do not cause flare-ups, even when eaten in normal quantities at every meal during the six-meal test.

I know now that alkaline-producing foods, as shown in the PRAL list, must be my only source of protein. To make sure I get all the different kinds of proteins (amino-acids) required for health, I try to eat a very wide variety of fruits, vegetables, starchy roots and starchy gourds.

Burgess Laughlin
Author of The Power and the Glory: The Key Ideas and Crusading Lives of Eight Debaters of Reason vs. Faith, www.reasonversusmysticism.com/

No comments: